Sunday, November 02, 2008

Eye Candy








Finally here are some details of a piece I have just recently finished called "the last happy thought". The story is based around this one character who's only purpose is to create happy thoughts, being he is the only one left capable. I have finished the piece and will post a picture of it later but for now I will leave you with these.
The process: Loose wool roving, thread remnants from past projects, synthetic filling, and leftovers from my studio mate's, Jamie, spinning have all been captured between sheer polyester fabric by means of machine embroidery. I loosely plan composition before sitting down at the machine, but I change thread color often and let the fabric, loose threads and other materials dictate most of my decisions. I then go back into the piece and do a lot of hand stitching, cutting, and applique following the same mindset. After all the "nonrepresentational" work has been laid out I then add the character. At least that is how this one went.

No comments: